Saturday, February 7, 2009

After All These Years

With each year that passes by, I’m always amazed with how Darren hasn’t walked away from all the chaos, craziness and stress that I cause him. Darren and I have a LONG history together. Many said it would never amount to anything. A few even prayed that it wouldn’t amount to anything. Somehow, Darren and I have managed to beat the odds and we’re still together and crazy in love with each other.

Darren and I met in high school. It was the summer of his junior year and my senior year. (Just for the record, yes I’m older than him by ONLY 24 days) My best friend had this “rocky” relationship with this creep. She always had to give me all the gory details and play by play on what they did together and what horrible things he said to her. When they “broke up” I was the one to talk her into giving it another try. With each “break up” they had, I started to dislike this guy more and more. When I finally met this creep of a boyfriend of hers, it was the summer of '84. Let's just say that I wasn’t too impressed with him. In fact, this guy named “Darren” and I exchanged a few choice words at each other and it was pretty clear that his feelings for me were the same. We did NOT care for one another. Regardless, I tolerated this guy because it appeared that, for whatever god forsaken reason, my best friend “loved him”. *gag*. As far as I was concerned, he was a jerk and continuously broke up with my best friend. I thought was an arrogant cowboy who thought he was too cool to deal with his girl friend's best friend and thought of me as a third wheel.. and a bitch as well.

The last fight between my best friend and "The Creep" was actually different. This time, my best friend refused to talk to me about what happened and said that she never wanted to get back together with Darren. She said that the “long distance” was an issue and she has moved on. Mind you, my best friend and I went to the same school and "The Creep" went to the rival school, but we were only 8 miles apart from each other.

Secretly I was THRILLED. I thought to myself Hot Damn! I wouldn’t have to deal with "The Creep" in her life any longer. Most importantly I wouldn't be blown off by my best friend whenever "The Creep" decided they were going out. *best friend’s heartbreak = me getting my best friend back yeah*

I’m not exactly sure how he got my phone number, but out of the blue I started getting calls from "The Creep". At first, I just ignored them. I wouldn’t answer the phone or didn’t return the calls. It wasn’t until my dad yelled that if I didn’t tell this guy to stop calling, he would. So, wanting to spare "The Creep" the wrath of my dad, I finally picked up the phone. I figured, if nothing else, I would hurl some insulting names at him for breaking up with my best friend. I had it all planned out. I was going to tell him “you suck, stop calling me, she’s moved on and doesn’t want you back and I’m NOT going to get you two back together again. Thanks for playing, bye!” Instead, before I could say anything, Darren says “I really need to talk to you.”

Me: *in a real sarcastic and hostile tone* “What!? Talk about what? About what you did to my best friend? What in the hell do you need to talk to me about?”

This time, "The Creep" explained to me that it wasn’t him that broke it off, it was my best friend and that he’s tired of the rollercoaster relationship that they’ve been on for the last few months. Then he drops the Hiroshima of bombs on me.

Darren: “Judy, I was kind of thinking that maybe you and I could go out…just to talk.”
Me: “What?! Are you crazy? No, I won’t go out with you.
Darren: “Why, I’m not that bad of a guy and I promise I’m up to date on all my shots.”
Me: “No way. You’re my best friend’s boyfriend...”
Darren: “EX boyfriend”
Me: “Like I said, you’re my best friend’s boyfriend, be it present or past. I can’t go out with you. It's against the code.”

For the next month, and I’m not exaggerating, Darren called me every night. Our conversations started to last longer, and eventually got civilized at some point. Every night the call ended with the same discussion. “C’mon Judes, just meet me somewhere. It’s not a date if we meet somewhere and we each pay for our own way.” I finally broke down and met him at Braum’s. That was in the fall of 1984. By 1/1/85, we were a couple.

I lost my best friend and of course my reputation during my senior year tanked because I did the unthinkable. By the time the rumor got back to me I apparently “stole” my best friend’s boyfriend and I bragged about how good he was in the sack. WHATEVER! Just for the record, I was a “good girl” and never did anything like that….at least not while I was in high school.

It didn’t matter to me though. As Darren and I dated, I realized that he wasn’t the arrogant cowboy or the tyrant that he was made out to be by my former best friend. In fact, Darren was hilarious. He always made me laugh and was able to somehow get me to let my guard down with him. He was thoughtful and sweet. He would take me to see the “chick flicks” and never complain about the movie, only the prices that he had to pay for it. He would always look out for me and make sure that I was happy and I enjoyed my time with him. He gave me goose bumps and butterflies when I saw him. Whatever I wanted to do, he was cool with. He was (and still is) a gentleman. He became my best friend. He was (and still is) a little frugal, but THAT is another blog in itself.

Twenty four years later, Darren and I are still “dating”. He still makes me laugh, he still gives me goose bumps and butterflies…and most importantly, he’s still my best friend. On 1/1/85 we shared our first “real” kiss as a couple. On 2/12/94 we shared our first “real” kiss as man and wife. He’s the best thing that has ever happened in my life and I'm so grateful that he's put up with my drama and makes me laugh about it. He is the cheese to my macaroni. Happy Anniversary D. I love you!

4 comments:

  1. What can I say, I'm a smart guy that knows what he wants!

    And... I know how to use 4-1-1.

    The truth is, I would not be who I am today without you in my life.

    Yes, I am still "frugal", a little hot-headed, and extremely stubborn. But I am also passionately in love with this girl I "met" 24 short years ago, and cannot get enough of. Together we make quite a team, and I would have it no other way.

    As I look forward to the next 24 years, there is nobody else I would rather have beside me than you, and I mean that from every fiber of my being.

    I Love You, Always and Forever (uh huh, uh huh)

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great story! I am so happy for you both. And to think, all those years ago you probably never imagined it would end up like this. Love does funny things! What ever happened to the ex-best-friend/exgirlfriend anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, after asking for "permission" from my "best friend" if it would be all right with her if Darren and I went out, she gave me her blessing. She never spoke to me after that. She tried to convince Darren to leave me and go back to her thinking that it was a "plot" to get she and Darren back together. It wasn't until when Darren said that he really wasn't interested in her and rather be with me that she stopped talking to me and my rep at school tanked. Oh, well. I don't have any regrets and it was worth all the HS drama. :)

    ReplyDelete